Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Yay!!!! The Super Mario Brothers Quilt is Finally Finished!!!!!



Super Mario Brothers Quilt Finished!!!!!


Phew...so glad that it is finally finished! Now there is no more tip toeing around my step son's weekends or flipping the design wall backwards to hide the blocks. Its done and that stress of keeping it on the low is over for now!!!!

Well, trying to keep it quiet until Christmas at least. Even though I think my step son knows all about it. Only because there have been a few conversations in front of him where I have discreetly mentioned making a quilt for him. Just because he is autistic, doesn't mean that he listens in on conversations and retains the information. I'll tell ya that he is smarter than a whip and don't ever let him fool ya on that!

Anyway...

Um...I do love the over all finish but this quilt gave me quite a bit of a fight to get it all together. The blocks for one were the easiest part to accomplish and put together. However, after stitching two or three of them together for the first phase of the block assembly, my machine ended up with this sticky goop from the interfacing.

Interfacing residue


More goopy interfacing residue


The only way I managed to keep it off was to take hot iron remover cream that I have on hand that removes goop from my iron. I would have used Goo Be Gone but I was not sure how well it would play nicely on the plastic on my machine. Okay call me chicken but I did not want to take the chance of some chemical eating away at my machine.

I also found that a few of my blocks were not press properly as I thought that they were. I ended up seam ripping this block out and ended up repressing the fabric to the interfacing again. It stayed the second time around!

Always be sure everything is pressed


Not bad to only have a few blocks ending up like this, considering that the majority of my blocks have been pressed and waiting or hanging around to be sewn together since the London Olympic games were over.

The worst when it came to getting this quilt put together. The reason being is that some of the blocks ended up being to short or too narrow. I ended up adding extra strips of fabric to even them out with the rest of the blocks. Then when it came to putting it all together is where the nightmare really happened! Despite my efforts in making sure all the blocks were the same size; none of the rows lined up properly either. Ah....I started to get the feeling that this quilt was going to make me feel like a beginner all over again. Or best put it armature night at the super dome! Yaaaay!!!!

My best solution for this problem was to tuck the blocks under the sashing and pin them down. They remain this way until I quilted over them. Oh, by the way quilting this quilt was no easy feat either. This quilt was heavy cause I used Quilter's Grid interfacing, which is fine if you have one or two block but not sixteen blocks. I ended up out lining the blocks themselves for the quilting and it took a long time for me to get over the fact that it was okay to let go of the thought of not having the quilting done all over. Maybe some day I might go back and quilt around the characters once the interfacing starts to wash away. For now though it will remain the way it is and I am glad to see it all done.

Oh, I told my husband that if any one ever sees this quilt and wants one made the answer is: No! He looked at me as if I were crazy with the: "why not" expression on his face. I also said to him that if anyone ever persistent enough to get the notion in asking that they would have me make this quilt again they would have to pay me the United States national deficit times two!

 Also before I go, I do want to take a moment thought to thank Angela from Cut to Pieces for hosting this quilt along. It was a great experience and I am glad that I did it. I also want to thank two other ladies for their generosity of allowing me the permission to use their character blocks. Thank you Karen from the Recipe Bunny for the majority of the blocks that I used in my quilt and thank you Maureen from Aquamaureen for the use of Kirby!

Now the only thing left for this quilt is to be reviled to my step son! After all I probably would have not have participated in this quilt along if it were not for him and his love for the Super Mario characters.

Jennifer


6 comments:

Cassandra said...

Sorry you had so many issues with the quilt! It's beautiful! I love Mario and I think the quilt is awesome. :) I'm sure your step son's response will be a lot of fun to see!

Fiber of All Sorts said...

This is FANTASTIC. . . and despite the issues you have a great quilt my dear

Angela said...

Oh goodness! I'm so glad you persevered because it is wonderful!! I'm totally with you though on the "I'm NEVER making this again". It's a heck of a lot of work...but completely awesome.

Mina said...

Wow, that looks great, very bright and fun!

Fabric Warrior (aka Amie) said...

Even with all the problems you had, it still turned out great.

Ariane said...

Your quilt is beautiful!! Great finish!!

Post a Comment

Hi! How are ya?

Just thought I would pass along the word that you are more than welcome to leave a comment if you like.

Why?

Because I would like to know what is on your mind too.

Yes, I do read your comments even if you are a no-reply blogger as well!

FYI to no-replies: I can not respond back to you! Thought I let ya know in case you do not hear back from me and start to believe I am the most out of touch blogger ever! If you are a no-reply feel free to leave your e-mail address with your comment or email me directly.

Also if you hate giving out your email and are on any one of the same social media sites as I am. Feel free to leave a comment on my page instead if you want.

Jen


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Jennifer Overstreet | Gable House & Co. | www.ghquilting.com
© Copyright Protected 2010-2014 All Rights Reserved